Hands-on tutorial about how to set up a remote Python development with PyCharm or JetBrains on Cloudam high-performance computing platform.
Remote development lets you use a remote server as a development environment. The SSH connection allows you to quickly connect to the remote server and take full advantage of PyCharm features as well as the high-performance computing resources on Cloudam. There are mainly two ways to connect to Cloudam’s remote server from local devices, either by the Remote Development Gateway plugin in PyCharm or JetBrains Gateway.
Before you start developing on the remote machine, make sure you have launched a remote machine (a target for an IDE) that meets the minimum recommended requirements that can be found in IDEs articles. It can be either Cloudam Terminal or Cloudam Linux Desktop, but it’s highly recommended to launch a Cloudam Desktop with at least 8GB RAM.
Connect to a remote server from PyCharm
The Remote Development functionality in PyCharm relies on the Remote Development Gateway plugin. This plugin comes bundled in PyCharm by default. If you observe any malfunction, make sure the plugin is enabled.
1. In your local PyCharm, press Ctrl+Alt+S to open the IDE settings and select Plugins.
2. Find the Remote Development Gateway on the Installed tab and make sure that the checkbox next to the plugin name is selected.
3. From the PyCharm welcome screen, click Remote Development.
4. Alternatively, if you are inside your project, select File | Remote Development from the main menu.
5. In the Run the IDE Remotely section, click SSH Connection.
6. Configure the remote server connection parameters and click Check Connection and Continue to make sure the connection to the remote server is successful.
7. On the next page of the wizard, in the IDE version field, select the source of the remote IDE that you want to use. By default, the downloaded PyCharm is located in the following folder on the remote server: ~/.cache/JetBrains/RemoteDev/dist. However, you can change it and install PyCharm into a custom location with the following steps: a) Click Other options and select the Customize install path option. b) In the Install path field add the needed location for the installation.
8. Click Download and Start IDE. PyCharm starts JetBrains Gateway, which downloads the IDE backend, launches, and opens JetBrains Client with your remote project.
Connect to a remote server from JetBrains Gateway
JetBrains Gateway is a lightweight launcher that connects a remote server with your local machine, downloads necessary components on the backend, and opens your project in JetBrains Client.
You can use JetBrains Gateway as a standalone launcher or as an entry point from your IDE to connect to a remote server.
1. Download and run JetBrains Gateway from JetBrains site (https://www.jetbrains.com/)
2. In the Remote Development wizard, click New Connection under the SSH Connection provider.
3.On the next page of the wizard, specify the SSH configuration through which you want to connect to a remote server.
4.On the next page, specify the PyCharm version to download to the remote server. JetBrains Gateway displays a list of the IDEs versions that are available for downloading and the already installed ones.
5. Once IDE launched, you can open and work on your remote project on Cloudam.
6. The recent SSH projects will be displayed in the JetBrains Gateway wizard. In the search field enter the name of your project to quickly navigate to it.
Cloudam HPC is a one-stop HPC platform with 300+ pre-installed to deploy immediately. The system can smartly schedule compute nodes and dynamically schedule the software licenses, optimizing workflow and boosting efficiency for engineers and researchers in Life Sciences, AI/ML, CAE/CFD Simulations, Universities/Colleges, etc.
Partnered with AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, Oracle Cloud, etc., Cloudam powers your R&D with massive cloud resources without queuing.
You can submit jobs by intuitive templates, SLURM, and Windows/Linux workstations. Whether you are a beginner or a professional, you can always find it handy to run and manage your job.
There is a $30 Free Trial for every new user. Why not register and boost your R&D NOW?